Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Free Motion - Practicing with Rulers

I bought a new free-motion foot for my Juki sewing machine.  I use my Juki all the time for free motion stitching, when I'm home.  My Juki is a domestic straight stitch machine.

This new foot will let me use straight and curved rulers as a guide when free motion stitching.  I borrowed my friend Lee's new rulers for a little practice.   I think I'm going to really like this for a bit of a change.   I enjoyed the circle template more than I thought I would...actually, I loved it.    

I have some straight and curved rulers on order with Diane at Country Crafts.  I'm making a few table runners to practice on when the rulers come in.

Notice the long straight lines that form a star in my sample.  I've used the ruler as a guide and stitched free motion.  And look at the perfect circles.  All this was done with the feed dogs down. In between using rulers, I just free motioned like normal to fill in the spaces.   No changing feet.
 
I've bound my practice sample..  I'm sure some cat somewhere would love to lay on this.


2 comments:

Andrea R said...

I have a ruler foot too, and i like it more than the darning foot. I don't have many rulers though and need more practise

paulette said...

I also have a Juki 2010, which I LOVE... and would like to know where you ordered your new ruler foot from? Thanks for the info!
Paulette