Sunday, May 29, 2016

The Bride vs The Black Flies

At the cottage, late May and early June are the worst for the black flies.  It would be easy to stay indoors, but there's raking and lots of yard work to be done.  

I with an old bucket hat, and some left over wedding toule, I fashioned a hat sort of like a bee keepers hat.   I made two.   With the excess veil tucked into the front of my sweater, and wearing long pants and gloves, we got to work.

The veiled bucket hats worked great.  The black flies warmed like crazy while we raked an trimmed trees.   But not one found their way inside the veil.

These are a keeper!!
  

3 comments:

Diane B. said...

You look cute Gail!! What ever works, the flies are very bad this year Diane

Kathy said...

Clever!!
It never ceases to amaze me what you have laying around, and that you can find it!!

Round peg said...

Net hats are popular in outback Australia to protect against flies.