Thursday, July 3, 2014

I give up!! Dressmaking is not for me.

Last week I had the notion that I could sew myself the perfect fitted dress.  See next month, I'm going to be the Mother of the Bride. My daughter is getting married... I need a nice well fitting dress for the pictures more than anything.   I carefully selected a pattern and bought practice fabric and lining to make the dress...  My intent was that if it worked out, I'd shop for nicer fabric and make a good one.   It was a little complicated but I don't usually mind complicated.    I have spent hours on cutting it out, pinning, marking,  basting, sewing and finally I have the bodice done.

It's not coming out like the pattern... After modelling the bodice, and consulting with some quilting friends this morning, they agreed.  It's not flattering at all.  Now, the unsewn dress pieces of fabric go in my scrap bin, and the sewn bodice.. that I spent so much time on.... garbage...

I think I'll stick to sewing in my comfort zone...  back to quilting and sewing small projects on Saturday...

 

5 comments:

Dolores said...

Perhaps a different pattern? I made an outfit for my son's wedding and the first try came out too small. Luckily, I had lots of fabric to cut another, bigger one (two piece.) Sometimes patterns are just not right.

PaintedThread said...

Ugh. I had that happen with a dress pattern. I kept hold of the material for years, because I hated to throw it out, but it was cut in such a way, there was nothing else I could really use it for. Finally threw out the remaining material when I last moved. Sadness! Feels like such a waste. Hate that!

Colleen said...

Oh Gail, I feel your pain. I think that is why I turned to quilting and project sewing in the first place. I tried again after years away from garment sewing. Like you, it was for a special occasion and I did it all right with care and lots of time invested. If it called for basting by hand, I did it. I interlined and used all the tips I read about in Threads magazine. The resulting dress was wadded up before it was completed and off to the dress shop I ran. I am not a svelte size so I was sure that wouldn't find what I wanted but I did and won't attempt anything more complicated than pajamas again. Quilting is much more rewarding.

Anonymous said...

Sometimes things like that just don't work out. Best to move onto to things you are good at. You definitely have great sewing skills so keep on doing things that bring you lots of rewarding times. You certainly have great skill at many other things. Now onto buying just the right dress to suit you. I am sure it is out there.

Unknown said...

Awe, I wish we were neighbors, I would help with your dress. I love the Romanian Point Lace, they are beautiful. Thank you so much for the patterns, I hope I can do them, lolol, I sew- knit- crochet, but no lacing of any kind, lolol.