Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Gramma's Rice Casserole

Here is my mother's casserole recipe. I used to make it all the time, not just to take to pot lucks, but to serve at home. I called it Gramma's Rice. Here it is. In later years, I tend to just put chopped onions instead of the onion soup mix so it has less salt and I use a bit less than the 1/4 cup oil that is called for. It's yummy just the same. It's good hot or cold.

1/2 cup diced peppers
1/2 cup diced celery
3-1/2 cups water
2 cups Uncle Bens Rice
1/4 cup soya sauce
1 tin mushrooms
1/4 cup oil
1 pouch onion soup mix

Bake in a covered casserole dish at 350 degrees for 1 hours then turn off the oven. I leave the casserole in the oven for another half an hour.

Another recipe my mother used to make was Dirty Macaroni. Now I bet you'll be curious as to what that is, won't you. Within a couple of weeks, I'll dig out the recipe and make some so that I have a picture to go along with the recipe.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gail - rather than used the package of onion soup mix (with all the "extra" unnecessary salt, msg, etc.), I use the French Onion Dip Mix or 3-Onion Dip Mix (Epicure Selections). All natural products made in Canada. Love the stuff. LB
I am definitely going to try the recipe. LB

Anonymous said...

Dirty Macaroni is deinitely something i want to check back for. LB

Donna's chitchat said...

Dirty Macaroni... my favorite. I can still remember the smell of the little bits of steak frying in the cast iron frying pan, and the butter and oh...yum.. the brown sauce... ohhhh..you know, I have NEVER made it. I don't know how!!! yum.... hurry.. and post the recipe for me...